was built in 1870 on the site of the older synagogue in the neo-Romanesque style. After the turn of the 20th and 21st Centuries it was rebuilt and it is now used for cultural purposes. The wooden sanctuary dating from the 19th Century, the wooden women?s gallery and the ornamental decorations have all been preserved. The synagogue has stone tablets bearing the gospels placed in the gable and on the façade beneath these the one-hundredth psalm is quoted in Hebrew. The neighbouring Jewish school is used as a gallery.
is one of the oldest and most extensive Jewish cemeteries in the Czech Republic. At present it is possible to find more than 1077 gravestones of Renaissance, Baroque or Classicist type in 21 unequal rows, on an area of nearly four thousand meters square. The gravestones represent a unique comprehensive range of development (from the Renaissance, Baroque, Classicism, up to the modern monument for the victims of the Holocaust). The funeral vehicle, originating from Hořice, is stored in the mortuary.
A synagoge datin from 1907 in the neo-Romanesque style was adapted into the municipal museum. The cemetery dating from 1904 is one of the smallest here.
The cementery is located on the eastern edge of the town, in Novoměstská Street. The cemetery was established in 1889. There is an eclectic ceremonial hall next to the cemetery entrance, Approximately 90 gravestones have been preserved here.
The only sacral monument was the synagogue dating from the 18th Century, which unfortunately has not been preserved (it was demolished in 1970). This building was most probably at least a European rarity, because the roof of the synagogue was decorated with a superstructure in the form of a clock tower, as we know it from Christian sacral buildings in the Baroque or Gothic styles (reputedly as an expression of the very good relations between the inhabitants of Jewish and Christian religions).
The cemetery with approximately 250 valuable Baroque and Classicist style gravestones is located on the northern edge of the town. The age of the cemetery is unknown, it was probably established around the middle of the 18th Century and it was expanded in the middle of the 19th Century. The oldest preserved gravestone dates from 1788, the last funeral took place here in 1966. There is a ceremonial hall near the entrance to the cemetery, and a small mortuary at the opposite end.
The age of the cemetery
is unknown, but it was probably established in the 1st half or the middle of the 17th Century and it was expanded several times. The oldest preserved gravestones date from the 17th Century, the last funeral took place here before the Second World War. Valuable Baroque and Classicist style gravestones can be found here.
There are also a large number of east-Bohemian asymmetrical stele (so-called rams horns) ? the upper edge of the gravestone is shaped into an asymmetrical arch, which continues into a multiple spiral engraved in the stone.
In Luže the Jewish buildings were concentrated into several streets to the southwest of the square where they formed a ghetto. The existence of the quarter is also proven by the name of Židovská ulice (Jewish Street) (today called Jeronymova Street) and Židovské schody (Jewish Steps) (called so until the present).
? the location of the first synagogue is not known. In 1780 the new synagogue was built in the Baroque style with a Classicist façade. More than 600 fragments of old printed work, 100 manuscripts, fragments from decorative Mizrach (identification of the wall that is in the direction of Jerusalem) and tablets with blessings, decorated by folk woodcarvings or cut-outs have all been preserved. The synagogue is open to the public and serves for cultural purposes.
(Jewish Street), the synagogue adapted into a residential house, the hospital ? school has also been reconstructed, the street with a square ? a protected monument zone.
is located 500 m to the northwest of the square at the edge of the forest. It was probably established in the middle of the 18th Century and expanded after 1876. The oldest preserved gravestone dates from 1762, funerals took place here until the 1st third of the 20th Century. One of the last wooden gravestones in the Czech lands stood here (dating from the First World War) until approximately 1985. In the nineteen seventies the cemetery was renewed and fragments of damaged Baroque gravestones were fixed in the former mortuary.
A valuable cemetery with Baroque and Classicist style gravestones.
The Austrian poet and literary historian Ludwig August Frankl (1810-1894 Vienna) was born in the town of Chrasť and also two Czech poets: the surrealist Jindřich Heisler (1914-1953 Paris) and Hanuš Fantl (1917 ? 1942. An exhibition is devoted to these Jewish natives in the municipal museum.
Web managed by DUOWEB.cz